Letter from Cabins Chairman Al Reich
Are you ready for a truly superb northwoods experience? Elm Brook Post 449 has three beautiful cabins in the heart of Wisconsin's vacationland waiting for you. Start your planning now!
Our cabins are located in the American Legion State Forest on Little Tomahawk Lake in northern Oneida County. (Click the blue Directions button [top of this webpage] for driving information and map.) We're not far from Minocqua, Woodruff, Hazelhurst and Lake Tomahawk. Pick a date and choose from three well-appointed, carefully maintained cabins. Get set for the perfect Wisconsin vacation! We firmly believe we are "The Best on the Block."
In 2021, our rental season begins May 29 and runs through October 2. All rentals are weekly, Saturday to Saturday. Our rates provide huge savings when compared to similar accommodations in the area.
Cabins are reserved on a first come, first served basis. If you want to put your name on our waitlist, call Al Reich, 262-523-4525.
By agreement with the State of Wisconsin DNR, only Wisconsin veterans are allowed to rent our cabins. Of course, family and guests are permitted to accompany the veteran renting a cabin. Sorry, those are the rules!
If you have a question, please contact Al Reich, our Cabins Chairman, telephone 262-523-4525 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I sign-up?
Our rental process is really very simple; first come, first served. Here's your best chance to get your first choice of cabin and vacation date:
(1) Consult with your family members about the dates and cabins that best meet your needs. Please see our availability table (below) for possibilities.
(2) Review our two-page CABIN OCCUPANCY APPLICATION document. (Click on the blue Paperwork button at the top of this webpage to look at this.)
(3) Contact Al Reich, our Cabins Chairman, telephone 262-523-4525 or e-mail email@example.com. Al will tentatively confirm your cabin reservation pending receipt of required paperwork.
(4) To finalize your reservation, mail or deliver to Al the following items: (a) completed and signed Cabin Occupancy Application, (b) Copy of your 2022 American Legion membership card, (c) Your personal check for full payment, made out to Elm Brook Post 449 Cabins Committee. Al Reich's mailing address: N21W24304 Cumberland Drive - 29M, Pewaukee, WI 53072.
How can I quickly renew my Legion membership to get a cabin?
Use a credit card to renew your American Legion membership. Just click on the following link and follow the prompts. Once completed, you can print your new Legion card from your home computer. Quick! Safe! Easy! Renew by Credit Card
Cabins Availability as of June 28, 2021
The table below gives a visual representation of our availability for each cabin. As you can see, we are sold out for this season. If you wish, we will be happy to put you on our waitlist. All rates are weekly, Saturday to Saturday. Please remember, it's first come, first served. Don't delay, book today, and get ready for a truly awesome vacation experience!
General information about our cabins
Since 1925, Camp American Legion has been providing rest and recuperation to Wisconsin veterans of all ages, current military service members and their families. Camp American Legion serves those who have a physical or psychological medical condition, all types of service and non-service related illnesses, injuries or disability. In addition, Camp American Legion is also a place for family reintegration and support following a service member’s deployment. As is their goal, families and children are welcome to help bring families back together, reconnect and bond. Camp American Legion also serves survivor families of the fallen, those who have lost a family member in service, to assist them with grief, remembrance and healing.
Camp American Legion is operated by the Wisconsin American Legion, and is free of charge. More information may be found the Camp’s website at www.wilegion.org or by calling (715) 277-2510.
Camp American Legion is a one-of-a-kind facility found nowhere else in our nation, except our very own Wisconsin north woods.
Where we began –
Our Elm Brook Cabins were built a bit more recently, but have served veterans for more than a half century. Our three cabins are located directly across the road from Camp American Legion and were established to provide less direct medical assistance or support. They serve to promote rest and rehabilitation to a more able-bodied group of veterans and their families.
We proudly share this tract of property with eleven other cabins owned by seven Wisconsin Legion Posts. We all operate independently from the Camp and all renters are charged by each respective Post. You will find our weekly rental rates to be a great value, far less in cost than comparable accommodations in Wisconsin's vacationland.
Best on the block –
The Elm Brook Cabins are located in the American Legion State Forest, near the towns of Hazelhurst and Lake Tomahawk (halfway between Hwy 51 and 47, on County Highway D). Weekly rentals are available to Post members, Wisconsin veterans, their families and guests.
Renters have the choice of three cabins, the Kellett, the Painter and the Graff. These cabins have very similar floor plans and a full range of amenities. All three are situated on a scenic bluff, overlooking Little Tomahawk Lake.
Each of our cabins accommodates up to six people comfortably, with 2 bedrooms (2 twins in each) and a queen futon in the living room. New mattresses and box springs were just recently installed. The interior of each cabin has knotty pine throughout, modern plumbing with standup fiberglass showers and comfort height toilets. Each cabin comes with a fully equipped kitchen, stocked with all the cookware, dinnerware and utensils you’ll ever need. We provide HD Satellite televisions in each cabin, with a full gambit of cable programming and movie channels. Enjoy your own private walkout deck. Sit, relax and enjoy the unforgettable beauty that the great Wisconsin northwoods has to offer.
Renter’s are responsible for their own sheets, pillowcases and towels. Pillows and blankets are provided.
It’s only about fifteen steps down to the lakeside. Fish right off your own pier or use the 15’ rowboat we've furnished for each cabin at no extra charge. Life vests are provided, and are hanging in each cabin.
How about an outdoor Weber grill and picnic table for a summer cookout. Don't forget to pack a supply of charcoal.
A short walk through the woods gets you the beach and swimming area for family fun. This private area is corded off to any boat traffic and marked with buoys for your safety and swimming pleasure.
Our cabins are rented on a weekly basis (Saturday to Saturday) beginning Memorial Day weekend and running through early fall. Important: Check-In time is 3:00pm, Check-Out time is 9:00am.
Timely check out by 9:00am allows for our housekeeping staff to tend to those end-of-the-week chores and have your cabin neat and tidy for the next renter. Before YOU leave, all cookware and dishes should be washed and put away in the kitchen cabinets. All food items should be removed from the refrigerator. Please check that all personal items have been removed from the premises. Finally, place your trash and recyclables in the designated dumpsters located on Thrush Road.
Rules and regulations for all renters
Renters of an Elm Brook cabin are obligated to abide by all the rules and regulations set forth by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, the Department of Wisconsin American Legion, the Camp American Legion Committee and our Elmbrook Cabin Committee.
The Camp American Legion Director reserves the right to evict any person who creates a disturbance, nuisance or deliberately breaks any of the following rules. No refunds of rental costs will be made in the event of such circumstances.
1. Your keys will be located in the lock-box attached to your cabin. The combination will be provided with your rental confirmation. An emergency key is available at the office in the Main Lodge at Camp American Legion. The office is open every day from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm. The Camp is located on County Highway D. This emergency key must be returned to Camp.
2. The renting veteran or active duty individual shall remain in residence during the entire rental period.
3. No wood cutting or removal of branches from any trees alive or dead is permitted.
4. No fires or open flames are permitted, with the exception of charcoal or propane grills used for outdoor cooking. Grilling will be in accordance with local authorities and any imposed fire bans in the area. No grills are to be placed on any deck.
5. No smoking is permitted in the cabin. Please use the outside deck.
6. The cabin site must be kept clean at all times. Garbage and recyclables must be sorted and placed into the appropriate dumpsters located on Thrush Road (Across from the Graff Cabin).
7. Public intoxication is not permitted. All local and state laws apply.
8. Absolutely no fireworks or firearms are permitted in or around the cabins. This includes BB and pellet guns.
9. Pets are permitted but must be attended to and kept on a leash at all times. Clean up after your pet's 'nature calls.'
10. No motorized vehicles such as ATVs or dirt bikes are permitted in the area.
11. Swimming is only allowed in designated areas. No lifeguard is on duty. Parents and guardians must supervise children under the age of 13 at all times.
12. No boats or watercraft are permitted in the beach area and must comply with DNR laws.
13. RVs are to be used for transportation only, not accommodations. No tenting is allowed.
14. Occupancy of each cabin is limited to six persons, with the exception of two (2) additional young children. Please use discretion and common sense in inviting guests not staying at your cabin. Over-tasking of the septic system will cause sewage backups, inconvenience and additional expense.
15. Any excessive damage of the cabin contents caused by the renter, guests or pets shall be subject to reimbursement by the renter for said damages.
16. Saturday check-in time is after 3:00pm and check out-time is 9:00am in order that proper cleaning of your cabin may be accomplished. Please return the cabin key to the lock-box.
Obey - Relax - Enjoy
The Best Vacation Ever!
Why we believe in The American Legion
As veterans, we believe we should support the men and women serving our country in uniform. We also believe we should be strong advocates for all who once served with us, especially those who bear the scars of battle.
For all and for each, we need to champion their good service, insure their well-being, and support them in all possible ways. As members of The American Legion we have made this our mission. We were formed in 1919 by a group of American World War I servicemen who wanted to provide assistance to fellow veterans who had been wounded or injured. After all these years this founding vision continues to guide us in everything we do. Today, we work for all vets, including you.
Due to hard work and good fortune, we are the largest, most effective organization of veterans in the United States. Nationally and locally, we accomplish our goals with sound planning, great teamwork, and generous support from a vast, loyal membership base. Today, our Elmbrook Post is the largest (and finest) American Legion Post in Wisconsin. We primarily serve veterans in the Milwaukee area.
Veterans depend on us and we depend on you. If you wish to help us, join The American Legion and carry our membership card with pride. Our work continues.
These three cabins are owned and operated by
Cudworth-Stenz-Griesell-Smith American Legion Post 449
3245 N. 124 Street
Brookfield, Wisconsin 53005